top of page

1900-01 Southern League : First Division

Manager: Committee members responsible for team selection

Access to the Directors Meeting Minutes courtesy of DAVID GOLD West Ham United Football Club co-chairman. Extracts published from these meetings give a flavour and reference time guide to setting up, running and managing a fledgling football club from its incorporation as a Company on July 5th 1900.

Text and Match extracts from the excellent book "IRONS of the SOUTH West Ham United in the Southern League" By kind permission of author JOHN POWLES and published by Soccer Data.

Minutes of First Meeting of Directors held at 55 Barking Road, on July 10th 1900

Please Note:

West Ham United Company Certificate is dated 5th July 1900, Secretary reported incorporation of Company on July 9th 1900 as recorded in the first board meeting minutes 10th July.

There is no doubt that Arnold Hills, the Managing Director and owner of the Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Company, was the man responsible for the founding of West Ham United FC. Without his initial funding, the club, originally known as Thames Ironworks FC, would not have existed. His original involvement began back in 1895, when he granted permission for a football section to be implemented at the Works as part of his Sports and Social club. Affiliation to the Football Association was acquired and over the next five years the club went from strength to strength. Although the club was originally strictly amateur, Arnold Hills, under pressure and strangely against his principles, agreed that the club should turn professional in 1898. Two years later, regretting his earlier decision, he decided that he could no longer continue with his involvement. This was partly due to a mixture of moral apprehension, and the realisation that being solely responsible for financing a professional football organisation could indeed become an economic disaster. In 1899 he had already spent heavily on acquiring an engineering company (John Penn & Sons) to add to the Shipbuilding title, and this could also have had an influence.

It became obvious that meetings had taken place regarding the choice of directors and how the project of setting up a new club was to be financed. As early as March 7th 1900, which was almost two months before the end of the 1899/1900 season a notice appeared in the 'West Ham Guardian': " is announced that the committee of Thames Ironworks F C are to consider some sort of reorganisation. A proposal is evidently on the table. For one who has it on authority says 'it will, if adopted, undoubtedly be to the club's advantage.' This is good news. Supporters are tired of seeing the club so low down as fourth from the bottom".

(A reference to the standing of the Ironworks in the Southern League table at the time).


This was followed by a further notice in the same newspaper some six weeks later. The Ironworks' supporters......have for some weeks past been in low spirits. Ill-luck and bad results account for the depression, and there is a big balance on the wrong side of the treasurer's account to be faced at the end of the present season. This, however, will in all probability be wiped off by their generous president, Mr A.F. Hills. With regard to next season however, a meeting will be called, and the Mayor of West Ham will be asked to preside, at which gathering the locals will be asked to take up 500 £1 shares. If this amount be raised Mr A.F. Hills will add to it another £500, and, in addition, grant the use of the Memorial Grounds. Another condition is that all members of the team must be teetotallers. It is probable too, that the name of the club will be changed to Canning Town.'

On Wednesday 18lh April 1900 the 'West Ham Guardian' reported that the meeting was held 'at the Public Hall Canning Town, for the purpose of forming a limited liability company to carry on a professional football club in the borough. The Mayor presided during the first portion of the meeting. He said that he understood that they had met for the purpose of considering the desirability to form a football club for the borough of West Ham, into which the present Thames Ironworks club would be merged. Mr Hills's proposal was, he thought, to have a capital of £1,000, which he (the Mayor) thought would be sufficient for the purpose. Mr Hills had offered to take £500 worth of shares, and had also agreed to give the club the free use of the Memorial Grounds, and that would give them a capital start. Mr Hills had suggested a directorate often gentlemen, five to be appointed by himself. Personally he thought there was no doubt that the thing would be a great success.

It was decided to form the company with a minimum capital of £1,000 in 2,000 ten shilling shares, and to call the new club the West Ham club, if the Association would allow it, but if not, to call it the Borough of West Ham club. Mr Davis asked whether the proviso of Mr Hills that members of the team should be teetotallers was still binding. Mr Osborn: Quite.

Many propositions and amendments followed as to what privileges shareholders should be entitled to in the shape of season tickets etc, but the matter was left to the general meeting of shareholders. A provisional committee of 12 gentlemen was then elected and at the conclusion of the meeting several applications were made for shares.'

When the prospectus was announced, it included a change that the directors had proposed to make regarding the cost of season tickets for shareholders for the 1900/01 season. It was that the admission to the ground, and open stand would be seven shillings and sixpence, and admission to ground, enclosure and grandstand, 10 shillings; to non-shareholders 10 shillings and sixpence and twelve shillings and sixpence respectively.

The 'West Ham Guardian', remarking on the decision to accept players who would be taken on providing they were teetotal stated:- 'There must be something remarkably timid, however, in the constitution of a football management that has to seek a remedy of this kind, and we shall watch the movements of the West Ham recruiting sergeant with great interest.'

After a number of meetings there were ten directors elected to the club. They were all businessmen and tradesmen from the local area and the first chairman elected was C.E. Osborn. All in all, considering the organisation that was involved, the founding of the new club had proved to be a smooth transition.

Undoubtedly the new professional club would not have come to fruition without Arnold Hills' generosity. He could merely have wound up the original club and walked away from it. He should never be forgotten in the sporting annals of the East End.

For what was effectively a new club, the directors had the task of recruiting a new playing staff. A number of the existing players from the Thames Ironworks club were taken on, with most still employed in various work at the shipyard. There were no less than eleven former Ironworks' players who would play a part over the coming season at some time or other. They were goalkeeper Tommy Moore, defenders Syd King, Charlie Craig, Charlie Dove and George Neil, half-backs Bob Allan and Roddy McEachrane, and forwards Fred Corbett, Frankie Taylor and Len Walker. The eleventh was Walter Tranter, who appeared for the Ironworks from 1896 until 1899, but then spent one season with Chatham, and then returned to sign for the new club of West Ham United.

21 May 1900

First registration players of West Ham United




15 June 1900



18 June 1900



30 June 1900


Meeting of Directors held August 20th 1900

First reference to "Helliar" for producing Posters and Hand Bills

There was much transfer activity between the club's founding date of July 5th 1900 and the opening game on September 1st. The seven new additions included a strong Scottish flavour of four signings, with goalkeeper Hugh Monteith probably the most well known. He had seen experience with Celtic, Loughborough and latterly Bristol City and was to prove an outstanding acquisition. Both Billy Grassam, and Jimmy Reid who were forwards, came from Burslem Port Vale, and the fourth Scot was Luke Raisbeck, a centre half signed from Middlesbrough.

The most experienced addition was 24-year-old Fergus Hunt, who had appeared for Middlesbrough, Darwen and latterly Woolwich Arsenal. For those three clubs he had scored an overall total of 61 goals in 137 appearances. Another two forwards arrived - Fred Fenton, signed from Gainsborough Trinity, and Albert Kaye from Chatham, and formerly Sheffield Wednesday, with a record of 22 goals in 64 outings.

When the team that was now under the brand new title of West Ham United took the field for their opening match of the 1900/01 season, those spectators that were present noticed that the line-up included only four players that were familiar to them from the club's former banner of Thames Ironworks FC. They were Tranter, Craig, Dove and McEachrane, all competent players and included in the side on merit.


11 August 1900

JAMES RUFFELL (1921-1937) Born this day Barnsley, Yorkshire


Ruffell made his first appearance in Hammers' colours in a 3-2 victory over Bury at the Boleyn on the 27 December 1921, James’ League and Cup appearances rose steadily in the early Twenties - as did his goalscoring record - it's doubtful if his career total of 166 in League and Cup will ever be surpassed by an orthodox winger. Inevitably capped by his country and a member of the West Ham team which contested the first Wembley Cup Final in1923, the Hammers' management could hardly have foreseen what lay ahead when they plucked the diminutive outside-left from the works team of the Ilford Electricity Board! Chosen six times to play for England. Portraying perfectly the cigarette - card image of the professional footballer, complete with centre-parting in slicked-back hair, Jimmy set a dashing scene as he tormented his opposing full-backs, often leaving them with muddied backsides as he cut in to score yet another goal. When he left West Ham in 1937 he chose to see out the remainder of his career with little Aldershot.

GRAVESEND : Southern League

Memorial Grounds

7 - 0 (Grassam 4, Reid 2, Hunt)

1 September 1900

Monteith, Tranter, Craig, Dove, Raisbeck, McEachrane, Hunt, Grassam, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

The attendance for the opening match was something of a disappointment when just 2,000 followers came through the gates. For what was effectively a 'new beginning' a little more interest was expected to have been shown. Admittedly the weather was not at all good for the time of the year, with drizzling rain at the start.

Gravesend United took the field first, and then came the Irons', as they had originally been known, and for many still would be (and still are). The committee had made a slight change to the team's colours. Instead of the light blue shirts, white shorts and claret stockings, a claret stripe went down the white shorts, and the stockings were all black. The light blue shirts remained.

The contest itself turned out to be very much a one-sided affair, with Fergus Hunt and Fred Fenton's blistering pace on the flanks being too much for the Kent side's rearguard, and in all honesty it could have been more than the 7-0 scoreline as Kaye was guilty of some glaring misses. As it was Billy Grassam notched four goals, and his haul and the margin of victory, was never to be bettered in the whole of the club's time in the Southern League.


Match report courtesy of Arthur Derian

00_09_01 Gravesend - Daily Express


East Ferry Road

1 - 3 (Reid)

8 September 1900

Moore, Tranter, Craig, Dove, Raisbeck, McEachrane, Allan, Grassam, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

After such a good start, the team came down to earth when they met Millwall at East Ferry Road. Bob Allan came in for Hunt on the right wing and Tommy Moore came in for Hugh Monteith in goal. It was Tommy's mistake however, that gave the 'Dockers' their opening goal when he let the ball slip through his fingers. Charlie Craig was a tower of strength at the back, but the result was a 1-3 defeat. It was generally considered that the home side were flattered by the score, and the local scribe reported that:- He came away from the ground feeling that the ill-luck that persistently followed the old Thames Ironworks team had made its reappearance with the new named eleven. I could not make much encouraging noise, but when I did I'm afraid I shouted 'Go ahead Ironworks!' more often than I did the new name. Several friends have expressed the difficulty they have also experienced in 'tumbling to' the registered name.'

SOUTHAMPTON : Southern League

Memorial Grounds

2 - 0 (Reid, Grassam)

15 September 1900

Moore, Tranter, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Grassam, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

The fixture with Southampton was a big attraction. The South Coast club had won the Southern League title in 1897, '98 and '99 seasons, and had been beaten finalists in the FA Cup in 1899/1900. The attendance was a good one for the Irons as 7,500 came through the gate.


All were more or less expecting the Saints to record a victory, but after withstanding some early pressure West Ham gave a good account of themselves and got on top, eventually scoring when Jimmy Reid converted a cross from Hunt. Although the game was pretty rough in the second half, with one or two injuries hindering the play, the Irons played well and Hunt scored the second after the opposing 'keeper had came out too far from his goal. The halves were probably the best of the home side, with Dove prominent at centre half, and all in all it was a very unexpected but well-earned two points. The most disappointing aspect of the afternoon came at half-time when a considerable number of boys and youths climbed over the picket style fence and swarmed on to the pitch, took possession of the ball and created havoc for about twenty minutes. There were just two police constables on duty, who seemed incapable of clearing the field, and the referee stated that he would not re-start the game. Roddy McEachrane, the West Ham captain, stepped into the breach and talking persuasively to the mob, got them to leave the field. The club directorate was criticised for the lack of a larger police presence, also with the prospect of Bristol City as the next visiting opponents.


Match report courtesy of Arthur Derian

00_09_15 WHU v. Southampton

CHATHAM UNITED : Southern League

Maidstone Road Ground

1 - 0 (Reid)

22 September 1900

Moore, Tranter, Craig, Allan, Wool, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

Prior to the club's next away fixture at Chatham the 'Football Sun' called West Ham United the 'Water Drinkers'. Other alternative nicknames arose such as the 'Syphons' and 'Ginger Pops', but these died a fairly quick death. This was a reference to the condition that Arnold Hills had imposed when he handed the club over to the new board of directors, whereby alcohol should not be consumed by the players at any time, and all team members must always be teetotallers. It was obvious that this was a condition that would be very difficult to manage, and it was often not adhered to. In fact, the club had to devise a system of fines, and players were placed 'on probation' if they were found guilty of imbibing.

A small contingent of supporters had travelled down to Chatham from Holborn at mid-day. Trains at the time could be just as unreliable as they are now, and it was said, with sarcasm, that:- 'We journeyed one of the best trains the railway company could give us.  Result, we arrived only half an hour late.'

There was an attendance of around 2.000 for the match, but the home support was described as 'a leather lunged lot......if Chatham could only lend West Ham a few of its par excellence shouters, who with foghorn eloquence could inspire our fellows to do brave and doughty things, they would be conferring a great benefit, and would be the indirect means of securing a dividend for the shareholders of West Ham Football Company Limited.' In the club's time as Thames Ironworks, there had always been criticism over the lack of vocal support. Maybe this was due, in part, to the wide-open spaces of the Memorial Grounds, and the distance between the terraces and across the cycle and running tracks to the field of play.

Although the Irons beat the Kent side by the only goal to gain a further two useful points, Chatham eventually resigned from the Southern League due to financial difficulties, and those two points were to be deducted and the match expunged from the record books

SMITH William

29 September 1900

WILLIAM SMITH (1928-1929) Born this day Corsham, Wiltshire

A West Countryman, full-back William Smith has often been confused over the years with a colleague and namesake Harry Smith, an inside-forward who played for Hammers at around the same time. Played as an amateur for Corsham F.C. in the Wiltshire League before joining Southern League Bath City (still as a member of the non-paid ranks) for a season-and-a-half. He then signed professional forms for Notts County and spent four years on the Trentside until his transfer to West Ham in 1927. Made his Hammers debut in the 2-5 away defeat by Huddersfield Town on the 7 January 1928. Smith's only other appearance was a year and 12 days later, again a 2-5 defeat, this time against Aston Villa at Villa Park.

014 CORBETT Fred

BRISTOL CITY : Southern League

Memorial Grounds

1 - 2 (Kaye)

29 September 1900

Monteith, Tranter, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

Bristol City, another team with a good pedigree, came to town and showed their class after going away with a 2-1 victory. Hugh Monteith was in goal against his former City colleagues, and was in no way at fault for the two goals conceded, and with Charlie Craig and Roddy McEachrane were the best of the home side. The attendance was 5,000, which was reasonable, but it could have been better.

FRED CORBETT makes his Hammers debut against BRISTOL CITY at the Memorial Grounds

015 KING Syd

SWINDON TOWN : Southern League

County Ground

1 - 0 (Corbett)

6 October 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

On a very windy day at Swindon, Syd King came in at right back in place of Tranter, and alongside Charlie Craig made a formidable full-back partnership. The encounter was quite even with both sides having an equal amount of forward play, but the Irons picked up both points through the persistence of Fred Corbett. Hovering about amongst the Swindon defence, two or three of the home players left one another to kick the ball clear, and whilst they dithered, Freddie nipped and tapped the ball into the net. It was said that it was a 'soft goal', but Corbett should have been given more credit for his intervention.

SYD KING makes his Hammers debut against SWINDON TOWN at the County Ground


Match report courtesy of Arthur Derian

00_10_06 Swindon Town v. WHU - Lloyds Weekly

10 October 1900

WILLIAM CHARLTON (1922) Born this day Sunderland, County Durham

This dashing former England Schoolboy International was signed from South Shields (later Gateshead) on the strength of several impressive displays

against Hammers in their formative League seasons. Made his West Ham debut in the opening fixture if the 1922-23 campaign against Bradford City in a

1-2 defeat at Upton Park, kept his place in the side for the next seven games to record an overall total of eight games. The brother of former Fulham and Carlisle full-back Edward Charlton, played at outside-right before superseded by Welsh international Dick Richards. Later played for Newport and Cardiff City.

NEILL George

WATFORD : Southern League

Memorial Grounds

2 - 0 (Corbett, Fenton)

13 October 1900












On yet another day of fierce winds, Watford visited the Memorial Grounds. The Hertfordshire club had been promoted from the Southern League Second Division, and had surprisingly defeated 'Spurs the previous week. Tommy Moore came into the side in goal, and George Neil who had played for Thames Ironworks from 1896 on, took the place of the injured Bob Allan at right half. George took over as the club Secretary between 1898 and 1900, and this was to be his one and only first team appearance under the banner of West Ham United. He sadly died of consumption at the age of 30 in 1905.


As for the game, the Hammers proved to be too good for the visitors and won by two clear goals, both being scored before half time by Corbett and Fenton. This win put the club in a heady 3rd position in the Southern League table.

GEORGE NEIL makes his Hammers Debut against Watford at the Memorial Grounds


19 October 1900

GEORGE CARTER (1919-1927) Born this day West Ham, London

An East-ender born and bred, George William Carter first came to notice as a member of the West Ham Boys team which contested the Final of the

Schools Shield with Sheffield Boys in 1914. He then progressed to his works team, where he combined his duties as an apprentice engineer with playing

under the unlikely banner of Green Silley Weir in the London Munitions League. Before the end of World War One he became one of the early members of

the R.A.F. Officer Training Corps, joining Hammers for their initial season of League Football in 1919-20. Made his Hammers debut against Fulham at

Craven Cottage 22 November 1919 in a 2-0 win, Puddefoot scoring both goals. Equally at home in any of the half-back positions, he often proved to be an invaluable deputy for such as Syd Bishop, George Kay or Jack Tresadern. A keen tennis player in his off-field moments, George was granted a well-deserved benefit by the club in 1925; just as he seemed set to stake a claim for regular First Team recognition he fell victim to a bad knee injury in a match against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. Despite having a cartilage operation and bravely signing on for the 1927-28 season, the incident effectively ended his

first class football career at the end of that campaign and went to work for Messrs. Tate and Lyle until his retirement in June 1965.

LUTON TOWN : Southern League

Dunstable Road Ground

0 - 2 (Corbett, Fenton)

20 October 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

A victory was expected at Luton, and West Ham had arguably the best of the play, being certainly the most cohesive unit with their combination play. Goals are the object of the exercise however, and Luton, although their play was of more of a disjointed nature, scored twice in the second half for the victory. It was possibly the Hammers' attitude that cost them the game, for their passing movements had the air of 'cock-suredness', without any end product about them, which was something to guard against in future. Craig had his usual steady game, and Fenton on the left wing was very speedy and proved a handful. The local scribe was at it again in his praise for the opposition's vocal support:-

'......the three thousand persons who assembled there made more encouraging noise than I have heard come from the whole of the thousands which have gathered together on the Memorial Grounds for a season. There is one thing about the Lutonians, and that is, they know how to cheer, and part of the form shown by the homesters on Saturday was due to the incessant promptings of the crowd. Did the home men show up, then the leather-lunged supporter was ready with the cry 'Play up Lu-u-t-on.' West Ham must take the hint. Perhaps I have been inconsiderate in this direction in the past, and have forgotten that the crowd might feel afraid of waking the dead in the adjoining cemetery.'


White Hart Lane

0 - 0

27 October 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

The visit to White Hart Lane to play Tottenham was expected to be tough and it was. Although 'Spurs had most of the game they were constantly  thwarted by Monteith in goal, and Roddy McEachrane was splendid at half-back, first in defence and then helping out the attack. West Ham also had their moments and earned their point in a scoreless draw. One member of the Press, confidently reckoned that 'Tottenham are a shade of what they were, their former greatness is passing, and although there are occasional glimpses of past glory, yet the general trend of events indicate a lost supremacy.' Like many a Press prediction, this one backfired as Tottenham became FA Cup winners at the end of the season!


1 November 1900

ALBERT CADWELL (1923-1933) Born this day Edmonton, London

A real unsung hero who served West Ham United consistently well for ten seasons. Signed from Nunhead during Hammers' initial season in the First Division, making his debut in the London derby against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which ended goal-less on the 20 October 1923Albert eventually took the place

of that other great West Ham left-back, Jack Tresadern. Although small in stature, his superb ball control allied to his tenacious tackling and work-rate, won

him a fine reputation at the highest level. Representative honours, however, were few a far between; although he did play for the Football League versus the Irish League in 1930 and was honoured by Surrey and London. Quite and unassuming, Albert was a keen motorist in his off-field moments, scored his one

and only goal for West Ham against Newcastle United at St. James's Park on the 30 January 1932 in a 2-2 draw.

OLYMPIC : FA Cup (Third Qualifying Round)

Memorial Grounds

1 - 0 (Fenton)

3 November 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Raisbeck, Dove, McEachrane, Allen, Reid, Hunt, Kaye, Fenton

The Hammers had to compete in the 3rd Qualifying round of the FA Cup competition, and were drawn against a local amateur side by the name of Olympic FC. This was not a particularly attractive tie for the locals and the attendance was just 3,000. Cup ties where one side is undeniably the underdog are never ones where a lot of quality is evident, and so this proved. It was a scrappy affair, producing high kicking and indiscriminate action, and the amateurs' play was distinctly nervous. The game was really settled after just ten minutes by something of a fluke when Fenton, flying down the left wing, hit what was an obvious cross into the centre, and the ball floated under the crossbar and into the far corner of the net.  The remainder of the game was West Ham versus Meates in the Olympic goal, who performed heroics to keep it at 1-0.


5 November 1900

CHARLIE PAYNTER signs amateur forms for the Hammers

6 November 1900


PORTSMOUTH : Southern League

Fratton Park

2 - 3 (Reid, Kaye)

10 November 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Dove, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Reid, Kaye, Fenton

When West Ham travelled to Fratton Park, they were not given much chance against a Portsmouth team that were on top form. After just twelve minutes the Hammers were two goals to the good from Kaye and Reid, and the home crowd were nothing less than flabbergasted. It was no fluke as Portsmouth struggled to Find their way. Had the score remained so at the break, two points might have come to the East End club, but almost on half time a penalty was conceded which was converted. The second half had Pompey back in their stride with two further goals, and the Hammers left empty handed at 2-3.

WELDON Anthony

12 November 1900

ANTHONY WELDON (1931-1932) Born this day Croy, Inverness, Scotland

Weldon began his career with Scottish junior side Kilsyth Rangers before moving on to Airdrieonians for the princely sum of £5 in December 1924. At Bloomfield Park he succeeded in turn, two full Scottish internationals in Willie Russell and Hughie Gallagher, until a thumping £2,000 transfer to Everton in March 1927. His partnership with fellow compatriot Alec Troup made a major contribution to the Toffeemen's League Championship success the following year. In June 1930 he was on his travels again when a £1,000 fee took him to Hull City where he made 31 League appearances and scored six goals before joining West Ham in June 1931. He made his Hammers debut against Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park in a 1-0 victory on the 29 August 1931. He battled bravely on Hammers' behalf in 20 League First Team appearances during the disappointing 1931-32 campaign. In the following close season he moved on again, this time to Welsh side Lovell's Athletic, serving his by now customary year's stint, then transferring to Rochdale in the summer of 1933. The following summer he joined Dundalk as player-coach, and late in 1934 was appointed player-manager of Bangor (Northern Ireland); thus becoming one of the few players to play for clubs in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Eire and Wales.

NEW BROMPTON : FA Cup (Fourth Qualifying Round)

Priestfield Stadium

1 - 1 (Corbett)

17 November 1900

Monteith, Tranter, King, Allan, Craig, McEachrane, Hunt, Reid, Corbett, Kaye, Fenton

FA Cup time came round again, and the Irons were drawn away to New Brompton. It was within the rules at the time for a club that was drawn away to tempt their opponents with a cash offer to reverse the venue. This was nothing less than a bribe, but it was not uncommon. The West Ham directors tried hard to get the Kentish team to come to the Memorial Grounds, and offered a substantial sum in addition to halving the gate money. The club were very eager to reach the next round and go further, but the offer was not accepted. They should not have worried, as the result was a 1-1 draw, which meant a replay at home, and a double benefit in receipts.

NEW BROMPTON : FA Cup (Fourth Qualifying Rd Replay)

Memorial Grounds

4 - 1 (Kaye 2, Corbett, Hunt)

21 November 1900

Monteith, Tranter, King, Raisbeck, Craig, McEachrane, Hunt, Reid, Corbett, Kaye, Fenton

Craig came into the centre half position because of an injury to Dove, and Tranter made a rare appearance at right back. The Hammers scored twice in the opening half, Firstly when Corbett headed through Syd King's free kick, and then from a goal by Hunt. Tranter was strong in defence, and he also took time to provide a pass for Kaye to net the third after the break. Both sides scored from a penalty before the end, and West Ham were through at 4-1.

21 November 1900



00_11_21 WHU v. New Brompton

Match report courtesy of Arthur Derian

017 KELLY William


Stapleton Road

0 - 2

24 November 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

With Dove still out through injury, the club acquired Willie Kelly from Hamilton Academicals and he made his debut at Bristol Rovers. It was a poor display where the forwards were the main culprits in a two-goal defeat, but defensively King, Craig and McEachrane were a credit to the club. There was more newspaper comment about being a Temperance Eleven, because the team were now slipping down the league table. Conversely, when the club began well, it was supposedly for the same reason. Far too much was being made of it by the Press.

WILLIAM KELLY & LEN WALKER make their Hammers debut against BRISTOL ROVERS


READING : Southern League

Memorial Grounds

1 - 0 (Ratcliffe)

1 December 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

Two points were gained in a single goal victory against Reading. George Ratcliffe had been signed from Grimsby Town where he scored 19 goals in 57 appearances for the Football League Second Division club. He promptly scored for the Hammers on his debut playing at inside left. It was a fortunate victory in awful weather against a side that were unlucky to lose, but it meant a lift up to 6th place in the table.

GEORGE RATCLIFFE makes his Hammers debut against READING at the Memorial Grounds

CLAPTON : FA Cup (Final Qualifying Round)

Memorial Grounds

1 - 1 (Kaye)

8 December 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

Local enthusiasm was at its peak for the 5th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. The Hammers had drawn amateur side Clapton, domiciled just a few miles down the road at Forest Gate. They were an old established club that enjoyed a fair amount of support, which went some way to realising the best gate of the season at the Memorial Grounds of 10,000. Arnold Hills, the former chairman of Thames Ironworks FC and founder of West Ham United paid a visit, and was in the stand for the match. With a strong wind blowing against them Clapton were the first to attack, and Monteith was forced to save, but the Irons went ahead after just five minutes when Kaye scored from the spot. The visitors fought back and equalised before half time. It was 'end to end' stuff after the interval, but there was no further score, which meant a replay at the Spotted Dog ground.

CLAPTON : FA Cup (Final Qualifying Round Replay)

Old Spotted Dog Ground

3 - 2 (Grassam 3)

12 December 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

The Hammers went to the Spotted Dog ground for the FA Cup replay against Clapton. With West Ham already one goal up by virtue of Grassam's opener, Earle, the home 'keeper, ran out and left his goal unguarded, and Grassam pounced on the ball and drove it into the empty net right on half time. The amateurs made a tremendous fight back in the second half, but there was a steadiness and level headedness about the West Ham side in the closing stages against Clapton's determination and spirit, that won the day at 3-2, with Billy Grassam achieving a hat-trick.


00_12_12 Clapton v. WHU - Morning Post

Match report courtesy of Arthur Derian

GRAVESEND : Southern League

Overcliffe Ground

0 - 0

15 December 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

After the opening day's demolition of Gravesend by 7-0, a comfortable victory was expected in the return, as the Kent side were struggling at the bottom, but the Irons disappointed in a 0-0 draw.


Memorial Grounds

0 - 2

22 December 1900

Monteith, King, Craig, Allan, Kelly, McEachrane, Hunt, Corbett, Kaye, Walker, Fenton

Just three days before Christmas the home game with Millwall was abandoned with twenty minutes remaining, due to fog, and there were no fixtures scheduled over the Christmas holiday period.


After 70 minutes Fog : rearranged for 21 March 1901

Southampton 1900

SOUTHAMPTON : Southern League

The Dell

2 - 3 (Fenton, Hunt)

29 December 1900












The club travelled down to the South Coast on the 29 December 1900 to meet Southampton, riding high in the table, and favourites to win the title. After surviving some early pressure the Hammers settled down, and as they did at Portsmouth, shocked the home crowd by going ahead when Hunt easily beat the famous CB Fry down the flank and scored. This was followed by a goal from a corner when Fenton netted for the second. Unfortunately the Pompey scenario was repeated when the Saints attacked continuously after the break, and it was their refusal to accept defeat that powered them to a 3-2 victory.


bottom of page